Good to know
- Find an entry in menuconfig/kconfig?
Open menuconfig and then input the
/ character to search.
- Flash an (avm or modified) image by bootloader?
tools/push_firmware -h for help.
make push_firmware after
- Flash with Raspberry?
Put the created image onto the raspberry. Download the current push_firmware script:
Make it executable:
chmod +x push_firmware. Now run it:
- Why in-memory image format?
It’s no longer needed, as push_firmware can flash an image itself.
- Unpack an image?
tools/fwdu unpack the.image to extrace the (inner) filesystem.
- Older modem/DSL driver?
Unpack the source image file with fwdu. Then copy the needed files
with directories to a sub directory of the
addon/ directory in Freetz.
Now enable the new addon in a
The needed files depends on your device. Examples:
- For 7490, the whole directory
- For 7590, the whole directory
- Replace kernel?
Don’t use it - until you know why you need it!
You’ll never have an kernel as expected by avm. Maybe some patches
are missing, maybe some options are not selected as avm intended.
- Build kernel modules?
- If you dont know which module for a specific device is required, attach the device to a Linux PC to check it. Commands:
- Make sure the latest source code for your device is available at https://osp.avm.de/ and integrated into Freetz. If not, you need to ask AVM: email@example.com
- Now run
make menuconfig and select your Fritzbox and Fritzos. Then the module needs to be enabled with
make kernel-menuconfig as “M(odule)”, use
/ to search.
- If you dont want to do that every time, you could upload your changes in
make/linux/configs/freetz/ as a push-request.
- To copy the file to the image, selected it with
make menuconfig or if not available add its name(s) to
Kernel modules ->
- Execute files on storages?
Disabled by default since some time by AVM. To allow,
select “Drop noexec for (external) storages” patch.
For internal storages, it is enabled always with Freetz!
- Execute commands on reboot?
Put your executable script here:
- Edit read-only files (or directories)?
1) Copy the file:
cp /some/path/to/file /tmp/file
2) Mount it:
mount -o bind /tmp/file /some/path/to/file
- Change motd?
You could put your own *script* here:
The motd will be generated 1 time at boot. To update it
/mod/etc/init.d/rc.mod motd eg by cron.
- Old packages structure in menuconfig?
To use old packages structure, run
- How to handle Git?
Quick start guide for begitners: https://xkcd.com/1597/